This Hygge inspired chili recipe comes from the recent Issue of Our Green Plate. This is a vegan friendly vegetarian soup perfect for watching the snow melt outside.
serves 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, diced (or any other color bell pepper)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 6 cups cooked black, kidney, and/or pinto beans, washed and drained (4 small cans. I used equal parts kidney and black beans).
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 minced chipotle peppers minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup lentils rinsed
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 15 ounces cans diced tomatoes and juice
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Saute peppers and onion in olive oil until softened over medium heat in a large pot (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add garlic; saute for 2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add lentils and two cups broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender approximately 25 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients except cilantro; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro during last five minutes of cooking. Top with hot sauce and serve over rice if you want, and enjoy!