This Lemon lime shrub is a refreshing beverage to sip on as the temps and humidity keeps rising. The discovery of shrubs continues for me,. I found this recipe and many more in this book by Michael Dietsch, this is a great resource for process and recipes.
I mix this lemon lime shrub with sparkly water and either vodka or gin for a simple cocktail. With shrubs I suggest using a milder vinegar like a champagne or white wine and start by adding the vinegar in small quantities and continue to taste till you like the flavor.
- 5-6 lemons (yields one cup of juice)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup champagne vinegar
- remove the yellow part of the lemon peel. Juice the lemons.
- add the lemon and lime juice to vinegar and the oleo-saccharum. Blend to combine. put in jar and shake to blend. allow 3 to 4 days for flavors to meld.
In addition you do a process called oleo-saccharum with the peels of the lemons to add some more in-depth flavor to the sugar with blending the oils of the lemon peels and the sugar.
- With a vegetable peeler remove the rind of the the lemon, careful to remove the white pith. And use the remaining zest.
- place zest in bowl with sugar. Muddle the zest with sugar with a wooden spoon.
- cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for an hour or longer. After remove the peels and discard save the oily sugar to use in the shrub.
the sugar will add some zesty flavor to your shrub.