The rhubarb patch in the garden is ready for harvest and one of my favorite things to make is pie. This recipe is sweet and tart, what I like is there is only natural sugar in the pie. It’s made with maple syrup, lemon and ginger. Very simple ingredients and easy to make.
- maple syrup
- pie dough
Started a new batch of infused vodka, I was thinking something a little spicy and citrus.
I chopped a 3/4 cup of ginger chunks, 2 lemons sliced one orange, and lots of vodka. Put it in the refrigerator for two weeks. At this point take a sample and see how it tastes, add more flavor if you want or start making cocktails.
Here is an idea for an Icy ginger lemon cocktail
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 cups crushed ice
- 2 cups Infused ginger vodka
- mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the sliced ginger with the water and sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, then let the ginger syrup cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and puree. Strain the syrup into a large, shallow glass dish. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Cover and freeze the lemon-ginger syrup until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Let the frozen lemon-ginger mixture stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Chop the mixture into large pieces. Put half of the pieces in a blender, add 4 cups of crushed ice and 1 cup of vodka and blend until slushy. Pour the vodka cocktail into 4 glasses, garnish each with a mint sprig and serve. Repeat with the remaining frozen lemon mixture, ice, vodka and mint sprigs. Serve at once.
I am on another Ginger quest this summer, well I don’t think I ever really stop. I was introduced to this Ginger Liqueur earlier this summer and just keep finding more recipes to try out. This Margarita is a perfect addition to that mexican dinner soiree coming up. There are a couple of ginger Liqueur brands out at the liquor store. Even found an infusion recipe on-line for you more crafty types. This is defiantly a repeat performance on this cocktail. So simply and flavorful.